Monday, October 26, 2009

Thing #6

So, I'm sitting here wondering why it's been three weeks since my last blog. And then, I realize that I've worked on the steps to this for that long; writing the blog is the hardest. My feeder has regurgitated more articles and blogs than one person can possibly read, and I'm feeling too overwhelmed at the moment and understand why teachers feel like the "old" ways of teaching are best. Heck, we are comfortable with the paper and pen. We don't feel comfortable with technology hitting us left and right making us question our abilities as teachers. Sure, we don't want doctors using the knowledge they learned in medical school 20 years ago on us now, but is this the best comparison for educaton? Are we in danger of harming our students if we don't join the technology age? I'm riding the fence on this one at the moment. And will end this paragraph with my favorite word "whatever". Sure that word doesn't get me far, but it makes me feel so much better to say it in this passive aggressive mood I find myself in these days.

But back to the thousands of titles in my Google reader. I'm still vexed as to how to get rid of these, so that is my current question.

My favorite blog spot is still the New York Times education section, though the English blog spot has rendered me some jewels as well. Saturday, I was reading about Hispanic children falling behind at just 24- 36 months of age compared to white children. These children are just not getting enough interaction and stimulus to enhance their cognition. Of course, they also said that among the poor of all races, this is the case as well. Evidently, President Obama is calling for a major amount of money for programs to get these children some intervention. This is good news. If they kiddos aren't stimulated to learn as toddlers, then what will they be like as teenagers? Tis a scary notion.

I was also interested in the fact that "teachers are now being fitted with the wireless microphones worn by singers such as Britney Spears and Madonna". I just didn't really think of the strain teaching can put on voices until I lost my mine two years ago. Some days, it was all I could do to be heard and understood. I have to admit it really makes me excited to think I could have my own microphone and surround sound in my classroom to be heard; the performer in me thinks that I would make English a Comedy Central show instead of a learning experience, but, hey, learning with laughter can't be too bad for the kids.

2 comments:

  1. And can you just see Blakester with a throat mike? She'd start singing all the time. Heck, I would be tempted to ham it up even more. One of my colleges professors had one of these (80s style) because he taught in one of the big lecture halls. It would be interesting, but would we really need one in our smaller classrooms? Though I agree, you could have used one after that throat issue you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I would sing! But teach, I might be too enamored with my own voice to do that. I still think it is a great technological answer to large class/classroom issues. Who knows what else will arrive to help us. Holograms?

    ReplyDelete