Saturday, October 3, 2009

Thing #2

Well, in reading the article, I have a nervous feeling in my belly, but also a moment of excitement. I can't believe that Web 2.0 can be such an excellent tool to keep all involved in the learning process, i.e. teachers, students, the community, parents, principals, and superintendents in the loop of education. An original thought-- all of us have a buy in in supporting what "the village" is doing.

Also, I like the idea of kids being excited about learning and extending their learning by using higher level thinking when they respond to other student's blogs. This can be such a great tool to ensure students "are getting it", all the while giving them an opportunity to participate in a non-threatening way. And all the while they are writing, thinking, and synthesizing information. How cool is that?

On a personal note, I would love to post major lectures or explanations of essays on-line, so kids can listen more than once if they need to and ask questions that other students can answer without the wait time for tutoring or even ask me through the blog.

Still, I'm digesting the possibility of being so close to other teachers information and links that we can in a sense cross curricular boundaries with very little interference. I mean the teacher posts the information; the faculty knows what "we" are doing, so we can help each other reinforce information. Sign me up, quickly, before I lose my nerve to try this seemingly daunting task.

2 comments:

  1. I knew you would get hooked to some of this stuff--so many of the possibilities are endless, we just have to overcome our discomfort in learning and then using something new (and you know I have problems with this too). I find sometimes that if I just jump right in, it isn't so bad. Plus, there will be at least one student who can help you out of the rough areas when you are trying to get it to work in class for the lesson that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be nervous - just jump in and play!

    ReplyDelete